X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are things called what they are?

Ok, slightly weird, but bear with me...

Why are words called what they are? Like who said "I'm going to call a collection of letters put together a WORD".

If you know what I mean.

Or why is a phone called a phone, or a roof called a roof? Or why is air called air?

What I mean is, who invented all the words in the English (or any other) language?
    Jimmy Must Go

wind ... what kind of word is wind!!!

and why are farts politely called "wind" when they clearly arent the same lmao

did i think of this too much?!

Comment

Words or lexis date back thousands of years. It started off by word of mouth and then got written down. Words change and words dissapear and others appear. Its a fact of nature. Its just a way of communication. If there's not a word for something then someone will make one up and then others will hear it and it finally ends up in the dictionary.
      It may be raining outside but the sun is shining on the inside

Comment

Originally posted by pie

did i think of this too much?!
        Don't worry, I'm inspired by Jon from Big Bruv, it's really got me thinking about things. Weird things.

Like why call a monitor a monitor? Why wasn't it called a "Chinterbag" or something like that?

I'm using examples, but do y'all see what I mean?

No is probably the short answer to that
        Jimmy Must Go

Comment

Originally posted by jacaranda
          It started off by word of mouth
          how do they know that if they didnt know what words were

Originally posted by Bri-namite
          Like why call a monitor a monitor? Why wasn't it called a "Chinterbag" or something like that?

I'm using examples, but do y'all see what I mean?

No is probably the short answer to that
          its ok i see what you mean (probably because i dont live on this planet lol) i had the same conversation the other day with my mate scary...

my chinterbag is too small .. :D

and why mouse for the pointy thing - why not just "pointy thing"?! why mouse?! i dont see any relation!!

Comment

Saying "Moist" is funny.

Comment

If you say the word 'door' often enough, it sounds reeeeeeeeally weird.
              Whenever I get the urge to work I go and lie down... and the urge goes away.

Comment

the word or term 'milking' is funny...im milking someone for all they can get.....lol the visions...oh the visions!
                I only said Jehova!

www.hard.fm

Comment

Originally posted by jacaranda
                  Words or lexis date back thousands of years. It started off by word of mouth and then got written down. Words change and words dissapear and others appear. Its a fact of nature. Its just a way of communication. If there's not a word for something then someone will make one up and then others will hear it and it finally ends up in the dictionary.
                  Wow, a post that didn't make you sound stupid
                  I was the kid sitting over in the corner smiling with a shit-eating grin
                  And I was the kid smiling in the back of class 'cause I'm frying on Mescaline
                  I was the kid drinking 40's on the bleachers gettin' drunk after school
                  Gettin' home too late, fallin' on my face, way too drunk to skate and acting the fool.

Comment

I always wonder the same...
                    Can't stand by myself
                    Hate to sleep alone
                    Surprises always help
                    So I take somebody home
                    To find out how I feel
                    Feel like just a baby
                    Portrait of a lady
                    Poster of a girl

[Ignore User name] BAM.

Comment

BUT

If a chair was called a balloon
                      and a cat was called an orange
                      and a cup was called a kettle

we wouldn't know any different.

After feeding the orange I sat on my balloon and had a kettle of tea.
                      V o c a l C a f . c o . u k

Comment

Re: BUT

Originally posted by NinjaMaster

I only said Jehova!

www.hard.fm

Comment

Re: BUT

Originally posted by NinjaMaster

Very good *claps* I used to think about this all the time, it was one of my many obsessions like what if birds and cats and dogs all switched around. Like 'the dog flewdown the street and the cat chased after it with the bird coming quickly up behind it' (that took me a long time to figure out so don't laugh!)
                          ...there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.

'Franki is a wise one. Even if she hides it well sometimes' ~ Scary Monster
                          'that's because you're perfect Franki' ~ Broken-Angel
                          'I salute you Franki' ~ **helen**
                          'I agree with everything that Franki has said' ~ Melian
                          'You're a genius' ~ piccolo
                          'Franki's right as usual' ~ James

Comment

why are things called what they are

sometimes i wonder why things are called what they are. like why cant i say kitchen bed couch pillow, but in the english launguage meant " May I have water?"
                            how did words get it defintion. i have so many unanswerd questions

Comment

This thread is a decade old. Please check before posting
                              In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.
                              ~Baba Dioum

Comment

Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

TheSite.org is delivered by YouthNet UK. Registered charity number: 1048995

Working...
                              X

A short TheSite survey: to help us help you

Hi there! Please take a minute to answer this short survey. The information you give us will only be used to help us better understand our users and improve our services. The survey is anonymous. Thank you for helping us out.

Click to take the survey >