Spam flood

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spam flood

The forums have been bombarded with a great deal of spam this month. I've reported spam posts every day lately - some of them are there for hours before they're removed.
    Last edited by Robert; 18-03-2017, 04:36 AM.

Originally posted by Robert View Post
    The forums have been bombarded with a great deal of spam this month. I've reported spam posts every day lately - some of them are there for hours before they're removed.

the mods are doing what they can to keep up with it... they explained why it is happening in a previous thread

Comment

Hey Robert,

Yep, there has been a ton of it recently! We can't be around all the time, so sometimes things do take a while to get deleted but as evie_rose said, we're doing our best to keep on top of it. You guys reporting it is still a massive help to us.

We're working on some ways to reduce the amount of spam coming through soon, so hopefully this won't be the case for much longer.

Mike
      We're James, Aife & Mike: the staff team here at The Mix.
      If you have any questions about this place, feel free to
      ask over in the
      Help Desk or send us a private message.

Comment

Sometimes we may not get the reports right away to delete the spam posts. I normally delete right as soon as I get the report. But sometimes that is later than when it was reported. Just how it goes.
        Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, I will try again tomorrow

Think ability, not disability

Comment

How many mods are there?

Comment

How many mods are there?
            A lot. But they have other commitments like jobs, family, education etc. They can't sit and monitor here 24/7. Most the spam happens over night... which is when people sleep

Comment

A lot isn't a number.

If they worked at different times, they could cover all hours of all days.

You've been hostile to me in every post - what's your problem with me? I asked you an extremely relevant and extremely useful question to try to help you, but all you've done is bite my head off.

Comment

The mods have lives to live as well. Im just a volunteer so I volunteer my own time to delete spam posts and its not something I can do 24.7..
                Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, I will try again tomorrow

Comment

17 new spamming threads during the last 2 hours!

If most of them are bots, should new accounts be made to enter CAPTCHA letters in order to prevent bots creating accounts and posting?

Comment

I deleted quite a few spam posts this morning. I'm keeping an eye on the boards today so I can delete spam straight away.

I think the mods are trying to sort it out so there wont be as much spam, but it's not gonna happen over night.

I don't really understand your issue, it gets reported and then gets removed.

Comment

If most of them are bots, should new accounts be made to enter CAPTCHA letters in order to prevent bots creating accounts and posting?
                      Ah yes, we had quite the outbreak this morning!

Capchas are something we're looking into, and we're also tracking the spam and where it's coming form more generally. Most changes we make to the boards take time and also some staff discussion, which is partly why nothing drastic has happened yet. For now we are going to continue deleting it as we see it.

24 hour cover isn't realistic for us, though - we're a team of 3 full time staff and roughly 5 active volunteers and part timers. Ideally we'd love to monitor the boards round the clock, but we don't have the resources to make that happen just yet.

Mike
                      ask over in the

Comment

A lot isn't a number.

If they worked at different times, they could cover all hours of all days.

You've been hostile to me in every post - what's your problem with me? I asked you an extremely relevant and extremely useful question to try to help you, but all you've done is bite my head off.
                        I think you're being quite rude. Like you should be grateful we even have the boards to come to. Without the time and effort the mods and volunteers put in, the mix wouldn't exist. This is the only support that a lot of people get. Maybe you should think about that before you go off on a rant.
                        With time and support you can start to see out of that dark hole and even feel hopeful - Jo7

Comment

You could easily ignore the spam because it will be deleted at some point - it's not a direct issue towards you. Although good on you for reporting it
                          With time and support you can start to see out of that dark hole and even feel hopeful - Jo7

Comment

Okay guys, I think we're all in total agreement that spam is a real nuisance! Spam is the enemy, not each other

Everyone's being excellent at reporting spam, and we do respond to reports as quickly as possible.

Just some clarification on this Robert - we do actually use a CAPTCHA in the registration process. To be specific, we were using Google's reCAPTCHA (v1), which is a little basic but industry standard. We've now upgraded to v2, so hopefully that will help stop spammers getting around it

James
                            ask over in the

Comment

If that doesn't stop them, you could try requiring new accounts to enter CAPTCHA letters before each of their first ten posts on the forums.

Comment

Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

The Mix. Registered charity number: 1048995

Working...
                              X