PDA

View Full Version : Borrowing money

BeckyBoo
05-05-2005, 08:50 PM
Im wondering how some of you are with regards to money. So lets assume you run short of cash are you straight on the phone to Mum and Dad for a sub or would you feel terrible having to ask for money ?

I have a younger Brother who I feel takes the piss by asking for money. I feel that he should learn to stand on his own two feet and not bother Parents. I feel that because Dad gives him money he is actually making my Brother worse because he will never respect money and will never be able to stand on his own feet.

My view is that if I cant afford something then tough shit......do without.

Obviously on certain occasions borrowing money to pay a bill is slightly different, like if your gonna get the leckie cut off or sommat.

your views :)

kate2419
05-05-2005, 08:57 PM
Im thinking about asking my dad for a loan so I dont have to live at my mates with my baby til the council give us a house, but we have only really started speaking in the last couple of weeks for the first time in years so feel so cheeky and have no idea how to ask, so probably never will end up gettin any!!

I dont think parents should let there kids take the piss though

frankipanda
05-05-2005, 09:03 PM
My mum has less money than I do :|. But my dad occasionally gives us extra money if it's for something big, like a college trip, and he more often than not offers to.

I don't agree with kids running off to their parents when they're having a little financial difficulty. Rah, I dunno. I agree with you I think Becky :p. If it's something really bad that's gonna affect them in the near future quite badly, then help is acceptable.

malteser monkay
05-05-2005, 09:04 PM
Borrowing money off my rents or my mates is like, last resort. I mean I have some money, I do get a small wage so like, that's enough. I don't need to waste my money and I do overtime if I want more.

My brother on the other hand...borrows my parents dry...he takes every penny he can get - he borrows around 40 each day, which my parents just can't afford. When he was into drugs, he used to steal from me, mama, papa, anything he could get his mits on he'd take. He's 21 now, gets a nice meaty wage at the end of the week, and manages to spend it all in 2 days, what I earn in a month. Twat.

Malt xx

Girl_gunner
my parents tell me to earn it. and i damn well do.if i got in shit with money i'd go to my older brother though, not my parents.

Makoto
Rarly ask for money, if I do borrow money off my parents I usually give it back the next day or os.

frankipanda
05-05-2005, 09:08 PM
I don't care about money, it comes and goes. I'll borrow it, give it away to mates, I don't care. I think I'm overdue for some decent money once more...
*ahem* you owe me a tenner still :p.

Dear Wendy
05-05-2005, 09:08 PM
My parents pay most of my stuff, while I usually pay for clothes and cd's and food I eat while at school or in weekends.
I depend heavily on my parents really. Though I have over the last year come to pay for more and more stuff by myself.
Up until 18 I had to ask for money for everything.

BeckyBoo
05-05-2005, 09:14 PM
I forgot to mention he does not pay it back. I lose my rag over it because I do know what its like to have no money yet I could never go asking for 100 quid here and there, I think my Brother is an arsehole and I have told him this, it really does annoy me.

Shogun
05-05-2005, 09:26 PM
What age is he?

BeckyBoo
05-05-2005, 09:36 PM
What age is he?

32 beleive it or not.

chan-chan
05-05-2005, 09:41 PM
I don't like asking to borrow money. Not even from my parents. It is like a last resort, and it is for something serious, not like I want to go out and buy clothes with it or something.

My sister, on the other hand, is a total cow when it comes to money. She doesn't seem to understand the value of it, and spends up to fifty pounds in a day if she has it (she's 15). she never buys credit, yet wants to use my mum's minutes and she rinces it out. She's really bad.

Life of Kate
05-05-2005, 09:46 PM
I really hate asking my parents for money. But sometimes it's a necessity. The place I work couldn't offer good overtime in March, and they are still taking basic rate tax even though I was assured it would be sorted by this pay packet. I'm about 150 short this month, so will need to ask, unfortunately :grump:

mystifymysoul
05-05-2005, 09:46 PM
I still live with my parents, but they normally don't give me any money. I have a part time job and get about 70 a week. The only time I borrow money is if i either haven't had time to go to the ATM or if I have no money left and I will get paid in a couple of days. I always pay it back a couple of days later.

My younger sister who is 14, just uses my mother as her own personal ATM..she is always asking for money for everything, regardless of whether my mum can afford it or not.

Shogun
05-05-2005, 11:47 PM
32 is a bit old to be always going and asking for money, like it would be a different situation if you were in a very serious situation like you couldn't pay a bill.

Miguel Sanchez
06-05-2005, 12:32 AM
i feel really bad having to borrow money off anyone tbh especially my parents i had too borrow about 130 wuid off them the other month as i was too ill to get out my flat and needed money sent too me cause i was so skint i couldnt afford to even eat , even though i ha da genuine reason to have the money i still felt bad even though i have given my parents loads of money over the years

guess i just aint the kind of person who likes being in debted too people

Skive
06-05-2005, 12:59 AM
I used to borrow a lot of money off my parents but I stopped once a landed myself a good job.
I'll quite often borrow money off my mates if im a bit brassic come the weekend and likewise I'll quite often lend a mate up to a couple of hundred notes if they find themselves short.

06-05-2005, 09:37 AM
I've never borrowed money off anyone ever, my parents used to pay for things before i started earning, when i was 15/16 i would get a 40 a month allowance thing which i had to buy everythign out of, smellies, clothes, chocolate etc, but once i got part time job that stopped (naturally)

But i've never been in any financial difficulty or anything so ya know i've never needed to borrow any

**Summer-Raindrops**
06-05-2005, 10:16 AM
ive been in retail work since i was 13 (illegal obviously) so earned what i needed.

i would never ask to borrow money off my parents - i ask the bank. if they offered in an extreme situation i might do though.

people who get hand outs tend not to apreciate money , as a student i see it alot.