PDA

View Full Version : addicted to vicks - possible?

otter
23-03-2005, 01:18 PM
do you think it would be possible to be addicted (and i use that term loosly) to a vicks inhaler?

budda
23-03-2005, 01:19 PM
Physically, no, there isnt anything in there which would be physically addictive.

But, I suppose, much like any pleasureable activity it could be habit forming.

mystifymysoul
23-03-2005, 01:53 PM
Well, I suppose you could have a strong like for the smell of it...

Scarlet
23-03-2005, 03:55 PM
Addiction definition (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=addiction)

If you mean being habitually or compulsively occupied with or or involved in something, then yes. If you mean compulsive physiological and psychological need for a habit-forming substance, then perhaps you could become addicted in a psychological way but most likely not in a physiological one.

z0ma
23-03-2005, 04:11 PM
Taken from another website.

Vicks was originally a trusted company dealing with common cold symptomatic relief. Their best-known product is Vapo-rub, a greasy ointment that contains oils of menthol and eucalyptus that gave off a characteristic smell. That smell penetrated even stuffed up noses and gave the impression of clearing the nose, as these smells were often the first smells smelt by that nostril for days. Get the clue here, the product was one that sold a smell.

Sinex is different. It is a decongestant. This means it decongests the nose, it clears a blocked nose. It does this by means of its active ingredient Oxymetazolone hydrochloride. This is a long acting ephedrine compound. This works by constricting the blood vessels in the mucous membranes of the nose, therefore, the volume of the mucous membranes is reduced so the hole that these membranes line enlarges. In this respect you get more air up your nose and you can breathe freer. Does Sinex do this? Oh yes and what a relief. Everyone who has had a cold knows the misery that blocked noses and congested sinuses can bring. Everyone who uses Sinex knows the ultimate relief that it can bring, allowing sleep, relieving headaches, and allowing taste and smell to return.

At around 2 pounds this may seem like money well spent.

Seem? Well yes. There is a dark side to the force that is Sinex. You see those little blood vessels that Sinex constricts start to dilate after the Sinex wears off. Not only do they dilate to their original size, but also as they have been constricted and the membrane that they supply has had a relative reduction in its blood supply, so they compensate by dilating to a larger diameter that they started from. What happens then is there is rebound congestion. The volume of the mucous membrane increases and the hole you breathe through is even further reduced. The nose is blocked more. Oh no. But wait I got tremendous relief when I used Sinex eight hours ago, I will use it again, ahh yes ohh th at is better. Another eight hours passes and the cycle begins again. Believe it or not there are unfortunate individuals out there that are addicted to Sinex. I know people who have to but 3 Sinex a week. The only cure is Cold Turkey. Every year at common cold time and in hay fever season Vicks recruits several thousand Sinex junkies a year. I told you there was a dark side to that seemingly benign caring company that we have all grown up with.

So does Sinex have a role? Well yes I believe it does. It is effective, it works quickly, less than ten minutes usually, and it is cheap. It relieves much misery from colds and can allow people to continue working and sleeping as close to normal as they can with a cold.

I recommend people do use it with blocked noses and sinusitis. I warn people of its dark side though. I suggest people only use it for two or three days at most, and only use it at night. I suggest people use it in conjunction with other medicines such as paracetamol, but never to combine it with other topical decongestants such as Otrivine. I also recommend people use it with vaporub so that it is easier to wean off it. But if people are prone to hay fever or more than ten colds a year, I suggest you keep well clear of Sinex.

Scare mongering? A practical joke? :crazyeyes

budda
23-03-2005, 04:19 PM
I didnt think the inhaler had any drug in them though, I thought it was just menthol and that.

Anything with ephadrine compounds in it will be addictive, though not physically.

otter
23-03-2005, 04:27 PM
This is a long acting ephedrine compound. This works by constricting the blood vessels in the mucous membranes of the nose, therefore, the volume of the mucous membranes is reduced so the hole that these membranes line enlarges. In this respect you get more air up your nose and you can breathe freer.
vicks inhaler, doesn't have ephedrine in it.
but would it act the same way in the body?

z0ma
23-03-2005, 04:35 PM

It doesn't claim it contains ephedrine, it claims it contains a 'long-lasting ephedrine compound - oxymetazoline hydrochloride'. Now I'm not upto much on my chemistry, maybe someone could prove the 'long-lasting ephedrine compound' status wrong, I don't know?

Taken from www.mypharmacy.co.uk/

What is in your medicine?
Vicks Sinex contains 0.05% w/v oxymetazoline hydrochloride.
It also contains sodium citrate dihydrate, tyloxapol, citric acid anhydrous, chlorhexidine digluconate, menthol, benzalkonium chloride, camphor, disodium edetate, eucalyptol, sodium, hydroxide and purified water.

Vicks Sinex contains oxymetazoline hydrochloride. This works by relieving nasal congestion (a blocked nose) to effectively ease breathing.

budda
23-03-2005, 04:36 PM

Thats what I was thinking, the tablets would work in the way he describes, but the inhaler doesnt have a drug in it which would do this I dont think.

otter
23-03-2005, 04:45 PM
the inhaler has got:
menthol 125mg, camphor 50mg, siberian pine needle oil 10mg, & methyl salicylate.

budda
23-03-2005, 04:51 PM
There you go then, just like I said, menthol and oils and such, not any drug which you could get addicted too.

z0ma
23-03-2005, 04:52 PM
Sorry, me being a plank. Realised you meant the little tube inhalers, while I was referring to the Sinex nasal spray.

The contents of which can be found here:

http://www.mypharmacy.co.uk/medicines/medicines/v/vicks/vicks_sinex_nasal_spray.htm

otter
23-03-2005, 04:54 PM
the little tube inhalers
:yes: - but thanks anyway for trying to help me out on that. :)

budda
23-03-2005, 04:54 PM
:yes: - but thanks anyway for trying to help me out on that. :)

Trying and failing.

Martin_Bashir
23-03-2005, 06:31 PM
^^^^^^^^^
Meanie :p

on a related note;
http://www.rockmine.music.co.uk/A_Cyclo/Altern8.GIF

HAVE YOU SEEN THESE MEN? EVIL PURVEYORS OF VICKS VAPO RUB, MUST BE STOPPED!