PDA

View Full Version : Coin Sorting Machines

DG
26-01-2005, 08:55 PM
I'm doing a clear up and found loads of small value coins, so I thught I'd stick them in one of thse machines that have at Asda to get money towards shopping, what I want to know is what happens if there is foreign coins mixed in there as well? Does the machine throw a fit?

Shogun
26-01-2005, 08:57 PM
Ask someone in Asda.

JsT
26-01-2005, 08:57 PM
I used one once and anything that wasn't kosher it just kicked out.

DG
26-01-2005, 08:59 PM
Ask someone in Asda.

If I did that you'd be outta job!!

Plus I don't fancy lugging 5 kilos worth of coins there and having to be told you need to remove the foriegn coins by hand and lugging it back home again, I wanna get rid of it!!

littlemissy
26-01-2005, 09:00 PM
It chucks them out. They can tell the difference.

We did it a while back and we ended up with a few bits and bobs at the end that the machine didn't like.

DG
26-01-2005, 09:03 PM
It chucks them out. They can tell the difference.

We did it a while back and we ended up with a few bits and bobs at the end that the machine didn't like.

Cool, any idea what commission they charge?

Shogun
26-01-2005, 09:03 PM
I don't work in Asda.

I know what you mean diamond, maybe phone the place and see what they say.

JsT
26-01-2005, 09:05 PM
Sommat like 7% for charity.

G
26-01-2005, 09:07 PM
Sommat like 7% for charity.

yeh its usually 6p or 7p in every

but then again because banks only take set precise amounts in bags, its usually quite good taking your change to a coin sorter thing like in asda, cause then you get rid of it all rather than been lumbered with whats left over from the bank

DG
26-01-2005, 09:13 PM
[QUOTE=Shogun]I don't work in Asda.
QUOTE]

I meant you'd be out of a forum post answering job :p

It's like when I once went into Abbey National to deposit a cheque, the women tell me I should put it in the machine, but I thought if everyone used the friggin machine she'd be out of a job!!

SuzyCreamcheese
26-01-2005, 09:13 PM
its not much commission they take. Its still worth it. If I remember rightly, they either give you cash and take commission or they take less commission and give you the amount in vouchers.

DG
26-01-2005, 09:14 PM
its not much commission they take. Its still worth it. If I remember rightly, they either give you cash and take commission or they take less commission and give you the amount in vouchers.

I think asda one gives you a voucher to spend on stuff in the store

Crispy
26-01-2005, 09:18 PM
Why not just bag them up & take them to the post office or bank:)

G
26-01-2005, 09:20 PM
because the bags you have in the banks and post offices take a set amount and you might always be left over with a lot of crud that isnt quite enough to make up another bag in each type of coinage

do the asda thing or any coin sorter machine for that manner, donate a little to charity that you are hardly going to miss, and be left with no loose change in your hands

**Summer-Raindrops**
26-01-2005, 09:51 PM
i was in charge of the one at work and it was 7%.

it prints out a coupon and you can have it off ur shopping or exchange it at customer services for cash.
might be different now though

~playboy~
26-01-2005, 10:27 PM
the one in sainsburys near me takes 7p for every pound which goes to charity and gives u a recipt thing u can spend on shopping or exchange for money.

G
26-01-2005, 10:42 PM
they have been in my sainsburys for years

Mist
27-01-2005, 10:00 AM
Why the sudden introduction of counting machines?

I'm sure it's all part of the big conspiracy.

Or not.

**Summer-Raindrops**
27-01-2005, 11:11 AM
way of cashing in on peoples laziness. from what i remember that 7% doesnt go to charity- it goes to coinstar, the company which own the machine.

if you have a 5litre vodka bottle filled with 1p coins(which i do )when are u actuallygoing to sit and count and bag them up , then take them to a bank who weigh them etc, when you can just take them with you when you go shopping and pour them in? most people do it with between 30-200 coins each time.

Tweety
27-01-2005, 11:17 AM
I think asda one gives you a voucher to spend on stuff in the store

The one at ours gives you a voucher but then you take it to customer services for the money.

littlemissy
27-01-2005, 12:19 PM
The one at ours gives you a voucher but then you take it to customer services for the money.

:yes:

It is quite good.

Mist
27-01-2005, 01:00 PM
way of cashing in on peoples laziness.

But you are forgetting the fun factor. it's more fun to pour the coins in the hole than to hand them over in little bags to the bank. Yarrr.

**Summer-Raindrops**
27-01-2005, 02:27 PM
lol, that is very true

Joolyknockers
27-01-2005, 05:03 PM
I took our penny jar down the machine at Sainsburys, the machine spat all sorts of stuff back at me...Euro's, toy money, old currency! I couldn't be bothered going to the bank to get money bags, and then counting it all out.

marie
27-01-2005, 07:19 PM
Yeah - you don't have to spend it in ASDA. I got mine exchanged for cash at customer services. they just make it more hassle to do, so you're more likely to spend it in store, or not realise that you don't have to. But read the smallprint - it is there!
Personally tho, I've been saving mine up in a giant whisky bottle since then. It's about half way full and being a bit of a scrawny little thing, it's getting real hard to lift now. It leaves little crop cirlces in my carpet too. lol

DG
02-02-2005, 02:40 AM
BTW I took my coins to ASDA today - the charge was 7.5% - I was pretty surprised it all added up to over 25 worth of coins!!